First Class Coach
The Silver Pine (DRGW 1121) was built for the Denver and Rio Grande Western in 1948 by the Budd Company. This car was part of a fleet of cars that was used in service on the California Zephyr, a joint venture between the Denver Rio Grande Western, Burlington Route, and Western Pacific railroads. The car was originally constructed as a 16 section sleeper, but in 1964 was rebuilt into a 48 seat coach. The California Zephyr ceased operation in 1970 and the route was taken over by Amtrak in 1971.
The DRGW however opted not to be a part of Amtrak and continued to operate its part of the former California Zephyr as the Rio Grande Zephyr between Denver and Ogden. The Silver Pine remained in service on the Rio Grande Zephyr until it too was discontinued in 1984. The Silver Pine was sold to a private owner and kept in storage until ASTA purchased the car in 2010. It was returned to service in 2011 as a first class coach car.
The car is a center-aisle with 2 seats on each side of the aisle. Seats can flip so groups can face each other during the trip. The Silver Pine has both a men’s and a women’s restroom in the car.