Welcome Aboard! Volunteering for the Austin Steam Train Association (ASTA) is a once in a lifetime opportunity to meet people from around the world while working for a professional railroad organization. We have many volunteer opportunities for you to choose from. We provide all the training you need to step on board today.
To see a list of the volunteer opportunities, please click here.
- Review and fill out volunteer application.
- Email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org, or drop application off at our office located at 401 E Whitestone Blvd, Suite C-100, Cedar Park, TX 78613.
- The Volunteer Coordinator will review your application and will reach out to you to schedule volunteer orientation.
- Attend Volunteer Orientation.
- Volunteer Orientation takes place during one of our scheduled train rides. You will review the Volunteer Training Manual and take a tour of the train, all while enjoying a train ride!
- Shadow a seasoned volunteer.
- On Board Services volunteers will shadow 4 separate runs.
- Train Crew volunteers require additional tests and trainings.
- Once you have completed your training, and are comfortable, you will become an official ASTA Volunteer!
Each train trip requires different amounts of time. They typically vary from 6 hours for our shorter trips to 8 hours for our longer trips.
You can volunteer as often as you like, however we ask that you volunteer at least once every other month to keep your skills sharp.
Each volunteer gets a voucher, good for a free train ride in our lowest class on a Hill Country or Bertram Flyer, for every 20 hours worked. They are also invited to all volunteer parties throughout the year and to the Volunteer Appreciation & Recognition Dinner in November.
Do you have a special skill you’d like to share with ASTA? Let us know at email@example.com and see how you can put your special skills to work on board the Austin Steam Train Association!